Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

A forum for anyone with an interest in the activities, participation, and promotion of the Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club

3 posters

idpa carbine match

fat kid
    fat kid

idpa carbine match Empty idpa carbine match

Post  fat kid Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Anyone know of any carbine idpa matches around? I read a good article in SWAT magazine about them and they looked fun.
    s lance
    s lance

idpa carbine match Empty Re: idpa carbine match

Post  s lance Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:39 pm

I have shot in monthly Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) matches at my local club in Kentucky for the past few years. Our matches are held in conjuction with our USPSA and IDPA matches.

I very much encourage your club to explore the possibility of a PCC division for your IDPA shoots. Since everyone is using a PISTOL caliber rifle, no special modifications to the stage setups are required since any steel targets can be safely engaged. (Our PCC squad informally modifies any needed changes in start position, etc.) It doesn't really add any work for anyone except the scorekeeper. Most everyone uses a 9mm AR15 type rifle, but other rifles can be competitive. Having a PCC match allows shooters to develop shooting experience with the popular AR15 series of rifles, and can serve as an additional revenue stream for the club.

Here are a couple of links to my club's forum that has some pictures of us shooting PCC. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions about our PCC division. If there is ever enough interest at Keetlefoot to have a PCC shoot, I'll try come down with a couple of 9mm rifles to give everyone a chance to compete if they don't have an appropriate rifle.

http://forum.agcpd.com/showthread.php?t=92

http://forum.agcpd.com/showthread.php?t=91
    fat kid
    fat kid

Post  fat kid Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:56 pm

well i was thinking more of a .223 .308 6.8 5.45 type match.....is there any set up around made to fit those? most of the people i know dont own a pistol caliber ar and cant afford to switch.
    s lance
    s lance

Post  s lance Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:15 pm

We allow shooters to use full power rifle calibers if we aren't using any steel targets in the match. If there are only a few steel targets, shooters can simply skip them and take penalty points for failure to engage. Obviously, skipping targets makes shooters non-competitive, but it is still fun. New shooters have to be cautioned that steel targets cannot be shot at pistol ranges due to issues with shooter safety (not to mention the abuse to the targets).

If you choose to shoot full power rifle rounds on a pistol range, you have to make sure that your backstop is up to stopping the rounds. Also, if the targets are set very close, the pasters get blown off which makes scoring difficult or impossible.

I'm not local to Kettlefoot, so I don't know if anyone locally runs rifle only matches. My local club will have an informal AR15 only match this fall if anyone is interested in coming. It is a pretty good drive here from the Tri-Cities area, but it is doable.
    Uplander

idpa carbine match Empty Carbines

Post  Uplander Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:55 am

I'd like to register a vote for adding pistol caliber carbines in some way. Could be done on the handgun layout without any extra trouble.
    Uplander
    s lance
    s lance

Post  s lance Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:09 pm

fat kid wrote:Anyone know of any carbine idpa matches around? I read a good article in SWAT magazine about them and they looked fun.

If anyone is interested, my local club will host an AR15 only match on October 11. Ashland, KY is about four hours from the Tri-Cities.

The match will consist of five stages (approx. 150 rounds) with a close range IDPA style format except for one "Zombie" stage. The match is strictly for fun and bragging rights.

Here is the link to the club schedule. There will be periodic updates in our forum as well as some zombie "teasers."

http://www.agcpd.com/index.html

If anyone has questions or would like to attend, please let me know.
    s lance
    s lance

Post  s lance Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:05 pm

This is some video taken from our "zombie stage" this past weekend.

Hopefully this will provide some encouragement for anyone that is sitting on the fence about shooting tactical rifles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtUlvi7moRU

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:10 pm