Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

A forum for anyone with an interest in the activities, participation, and promotion of the Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club

4 posters

Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks

GCarrier
    GCarrier

Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks Empty Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks

Post  GCarrier Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:29 pm

Bristol TN City Council will take under consideration at the July 7 meeting a resolution banning firearms carry by HCP holders in local parks. This resolution needs only a single majority vote to be enacted, thus closing local parks under a loophole in TNs recent legislation allowing HCP carry in state parks, national forests, and local parks. (Kingsport's BOMA will undertake a similar propostion at their next meeting, and Johnson City enacted this proposal last week). The prevailing fear-inducing mantra is "its for the children" - giving no credence to the fact that TN HCP holders have, for the last 10 years, already proven to be extraordinary examples of consciencious, law-abiding citizens, and have been carrying in a myriad of other places in immediate proximity to "the children" for that same period of time without any incident or instance suggestive of a problem. For those so inclined, a phone call to any/all council members, or presence at this Council meeting, might actually shine some positive light on the subject.
    GCarrier
    GCarrier

Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks Empty Re: Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks

Post  GCarrier Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:46 am

I've spoken to Staton, Messimer, Feirabend and Shoemaker...Testa doesn't have a publically available phone number, so had to email him. Staton indicates he has disagreements with the proposed resolution. Shoemaker says that today's society does not need to carry guns, and that the 2nd amenmdent is outdated just as women's suffrage and slavery. Feirabend listened and said I had raised some points she would check out and think about. Messimer...I have no clue. He seemed to have difficulty following the conversation.
    B Powers
    B Powers

Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks Empty Thanks

Post  B Powers Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks for your hard work on this important subject.

The way I see it, if the city denies me my right to protect myself, they better have 24-hour-per-day armed gaurds or cops!
    GCarrier
    GCarrier

Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks Empty Re: Bristol TN City Council considers resolution banning HCP carry in local parks

Post  GCarrier Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:13 pm

As expected, Council voted 3-2 to ban handgun carry in local parks. Feirabend, Testa and Shoemaker voted yes to the resolution, Staton and Messimer no - although Messimer later admitted he intended to vote yes, but Shoemaker's outlandish remrk critical of anone who would want to carry a gun infuriated him (but, he already knew that there were 3 yes votes, so...) Staton actually got it - he said that this vote was not really about whether or not carry in local parks was right or not, but that it was really about Council taking away rights from citizens without cause. No on else present wanted to hear that. Testa and Feirabend remined silent through debate.
    fat kid
    fat kid

Post  fat kid Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:40 am

epic fail
    JMann
    JMann

Post  JMann Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:27 am

Shoemaker was just re-elected to his seat on council. There was a very small percentage of Bristol, TN voters who went to the polls so we got what we deserved for four more years. The fellow who ran against him was a much better choice in many areas but I wouldn't offer a guess as to how he would have voted on this issue.

If you ever attended any of the meetings you would quickly find that Shoemaker loves to hear his own voice and see his name in print.
    GCarrier
    GCarrier

Post  GCarrier Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:20 pm

A friend on the Bristol Virginia Police force indicated to me today that there are no similar restrictions for Bristol Virginia local parks. Wonder why we haven't seen the atrocities Shoemaker, Feirabend and Testa fear on the north side of town?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:01 am