Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club Forum

A forum for anyone with an interest in the activities, participation, and promotion of the Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club

3 posters

Understanding the Bill of Rights

DARoberts
    DARoberts

Understanding the Bill of Rights Empty Understanding the Bill of Rights

Post  DARoberts Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:15 am

During the campaign, then candidate Barack Obama inadvertantly revealed his understanding of the Bill of Rights when addressing a Iowa group concerning his stance on gun ownership. Obama told the audience that he respects the right of lawful gunowners to "hunt, fish, protect their families"..., but then repeated a canard of the anti-gun left that is supposed to be an end-all argument in support of "regulating" firearms ownership by comparing that to a supposed regulation of the First Amendment. Obama said,
    ... like all rights, they are bound and restrained by the needs of the community. So... I have a right to free speech, but I can't just yell "FIRE" in this auditorium.
    Well, President Obama, you can yell "FIRE" in a crowded auditorium, there just has to be a fire. See, it's not really regulating speech, it is regulating the endangerment of innocent citizens. The same "regulations" already exist pertaining to firearms ownership. While one has a right to own a firearm, that firearm owner is regulated to the extent that he is prohibited from aiming that firearm at an innocent citizen. The firearm owner is "regulated" to the extent that he is prohibited from endangering a innocent citizen.

However, just as there are times that there is a fire in a crowded theater, there are times when it is not only permissible, but necessary to aim a firearm at a person.

As a so-called Constitutional scholar, either President Obama does not really understand what it is that is being "regulated", or he really does understand, he is just trying to fool as many people as possible.

Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a shortage of fools.
    Ridge Runner
    Ridge Runner

Understanding the Bill of Rights Empty Re: Understanding the Bill of Rights

Post  Ridge Runner Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:59 am

I think of a "right" as something you fight and die for; either for natural or civil existance. A "privilege" is something interpreted and established for a benefit or reward - something that can be taken away by the group or the power(s) to be. My security and defense are "natural" for my existance. I think the founding fathers and the current Supreme Court would differ from Mr. Obama's view of things. Remember, our system of law only operates as long as the "people" allow it and obey the law(s). Sorry politicians and political parties, but it isn't about you.

God Bless All Here,

Major Mike
    Brian Traynor
    Brian Traynor

Post  Brian Traynor Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Everyone who wants to continue to own, collect, and shoot firearms at their discretion should contact their elected officials.

I sent e mails to Phil Roe, Lamar Aexander, and Bob Corker ref HR45 and the new atty gen Eric Holder's isead about a new assault weapons bill.

HR45 is the big brother super registration of all firearms, and unannounced inspections that we have all worried about before.

The assault weapons ban will include everything. Lever action cowboy guns, semi auto skeet guns, your AR, AK, mini 14, remington 7400 deer rifle etc.
    DARoberts
    DARoberts

Post  DARoberts Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:25 am

Hey Brian!!

HR45 is also known as the "Blair Holt" bill.

Blair Holt was a high school student who lived in Chicago. While riding home from school on a public bus, Blair Holt was shot while attempting to shield a girl from another young man, who boarded the bus and started shooting.

Let's see... in Chicago??? I thought gun ownership was already illegal in Chicago.

See how safe we all will be when gun ownership is made illegal everywhere?

Ahhh... it will be a collectivist utopia.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:40 am